Here you will find selected documents, publications and white papers produced by the organisation, its members and others.
- Business North Transport Policy Statement 2017
- Report on Business North Half Year Review 12 October 2016
- CBI-backed Business North to drive forward Northern Powerhouse agenda
Manchester Evening News report on the launch of Business North.
- Business North: Passion will lead to action
Chris Hearld on the purpose of Business North.
- Response to the National Infrastructure Commission
Chris Hearld responds on behalf of Business North, commending the emphasis on long-term, multi-modal planning.
- Magnet Cities
- Time for North’s businesses to take charge
Chris Hearld on business leadership of the Northern Powerhouse.
- Where next for the Northern energy sector?
This report explores the three possible ‘energy futures’ for the region, and argues for a Northern Energy Strategy that secures its position as a trailblazer.
- Devo Digital
Digital skills for the northern powerhouse – recommendations that would help the North to address its digital skills gap, in order to remain competitive in a post-Brexit environment.
- Taking back control in the North
IPPR’s argument for greater devolved powers and stronger subnational institutions to drive industrial strategy for the north of England, and address the severe economic imbalances affecting the nation.
- The Great North Plan
IPPR North and the RTPI have developed a blueprint for a plan of the Northern Powerhouse. Make a powerhouse pledge at www.greatnorthplan.com.
- Brexit North: Securing a United Voice at the Negotiating Table
IPPR North report on the implications of Brexit for the North of England.
- Gateways to the Northern Powerhouse: A Northern Ports Strategy
The importance and future of ports in the North as part of an east-west supercorridor connecting Atlantic shipping with continental Europe.
- Northern Schools: Putting Education at the Heart of the Northern Powerhouse
Exploring the gap between outcomes in northern schools and those in London, and the crucial importance of addressing this.
- Shaping Regional Infrastructure
Quantitative and qualitative data gathered in each region to present policy-makers, both regionally and nationally, with a clear set of strategic infrastructure priorities.
- Delivering Prosperity: A New Agenda for Business and Government
The CBI’s key priorities at the local, national and global level.
- Unlocking Regional Growth
The CBI’s flagship project on the keys to raising productivity around the UK.
- CBI says it’s time to deliver on Northern Powerhouse plans
CBI Director General Carolyn Fairbairn writing in the Financial Times on the importance of delivering growth for the North.
Transport for the North
- Strategic Transport Plan Evidence
An overall view of TfN’s transport blueprint for the North, why it is needed, how it will be implemented and what the rewards will be to the region.
- Trans-Pennine Strategic Road Study
TfN’s latest updates to their plans for a trans-pennine tunnel, trans-pennine strategic road and the M60.
- TfN Independent Economic Review
Transport for the North’s review into the economic geography of the North and likely future transport requirements.
- The Northern Transport Strategy: Spring 2016 Report.
- The Trans-Pennine Tunnel Study
Latest status of the project to better connect Manchester and Sheffield.
- TfN Northern Freight and Logistics Report.
British Chamber of Commerce
- Business Brexit Priorities.
BCC’s report setting out the key priorities for Chamber member businesses in the
forthcoming Brexit negotiations.
- Ofsted Annual Report 2015/16
Ofsted Annual Report announces growing North/South education divide.
- Northern Powerhouse Strategy
The government’s NPH strategy document, published with the Autumn Statement on 23rd Nov.
- A Northern Powerhouse Schools Strategy
Sir Nick Weller’s Northern Powerhouse Schools Strategy.
- Unlocking Growth in the North
New Transport report.
Lambert Smith Hampton
N8 Research Partnership
- The Power of 8: Knowledge, Innovation and Growth for the North
The contribution the North’s research-intensive universities make to innovation and the economy.
- N8 and the Life Sciences Northern Powerhouse Proposition
Dr Peter Simpson on the potential of the life sciences sector in the North.
- Beyond Brexit
Professor Mark Reed, N8 Professor of Socio-Technical Innovation at Newcastle University, discusses his hope that UK and European science communities can still work together after Brexit.
- Whole Place Leadership: Valuing People, Shaping the Future
Core Cities’ report on the importance of effective place-based leadership.
follow Business North.